2003 St. Petersburg
Electronic museums in a modern society: challenges and contradictions
The 2003 CIDOC meeting took place on 1st – 5th September 2003 in the Marble Palace of the State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia, in cooperation with ADIT (“Automation Directions in Museums and Information Technologies”), a Russian association of museum experts concerned with the creation of electronic resources and presentation of museum information on the Internet.
The topic of the conference was “The electronic potential of a museum: incentives and limitations, achievements and problems”, and it had the following objectives:
- analysis of the main achievements in the field of storage, restoration, conservation and educational work;
- discussion of pressing technical, technological, phychological and social problems and restrictions;
- outline of prospective areas of development and the further penetration of information technologies into the traditional museum environment;
- incentives for innovation.
The conference intended to help the participants to:
- develop priorities and strategies for the use of information technology;
- select standards for recording and for storage of images;
- plan joint international projects.
The web pages of the CIDOC 2003 annual conference
The local contacts were:
Lyudmila M. Kurenkova
Fax: +7(812) 314-4153
Association for Documentation and Information Technology (ADIT)
Alexander V. Dremailov
Phone/Fax: +7(095) 202-1624